Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University Medical Center is the largest hospital in Missouri and the largest private employer in the St. Louis region. An affiliated teaching hospital of Washington University School of Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital has a 1,800 member medical staff with many who are recognized as "Best Doctors in America." They are supported by residents, interns and fellows, in addition to nurses, technicians and other health-care professionals. Recognizing its excellent nursing care, Barnes-Jewish Hospital was the first adult hospital in Missouri to be certified as a "Magnet Hospital" by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). The Magnet Award is the highest honor awarded for hospital nursing by the ANCC. Barnes-Jewish Hospital was created by the 1996 merger of Barnes Hospital and The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis. Each hospital brought a rich tradition of excellence. Barnes Hospital opened in 1914 and became one of the first medical teaching centers in the United States. Jewish Hospital opened in 1902 to care for St. Louis’ growing immigrant population. Barnes-Jewish Hospital is a member of BJC HealthCare, one of the nation’s largest health-care organizations.