Training Model to Advance Support of the Family as a Caregiving System in the Inpatient Oncology Setting
- Participating Providers:
- Provider is an MSKCC acute care advanced practice nurse and/or inpatient social
worker as per self-report.
- Plans to attend at least 4/6 the didactic training sessions, and 3/6 consolidation
sessions as per self-report.
A patient will be approached if:
- Patient has been admitted to an inpatient service at MSKCC.
- Patient is able to designate at least one close person who is involved in the
patient's care and is able to attend a consultation. In the case that the patient is
a minor (age 7-17 yrs), s/he will need to designate at least one close, adult person
who is involved in the patient's care and is able to attend a consultation.
- Patient and/or family is determined to be at risk for elevated psychosocial distress
based on one or more of the following criteria: (1) patient meets one or more
psychosocial risk criteria as per social worker or nurse assessment conducted during
admission; (2) Patient and/or family presents with one or more scenarios on the
Family Challenges list, according to participating provider and/or referring medical
Family members will be approached if:
- They were named by an admitted patient or health care proxy as a close other
(including a family friend) involved in his or her care.
- Evidence of cognitive impairment severe enough to preclude completing survey
instruments or participating in a family consultation as per clinical or research
staff judgment or EMR.
- Determined to not be appropriate for this study as per clinical judgment. Anyone,
patient or family member, who is younger than 12 years old.
- Anyone, patient or family member, who does not speak English.