A Novel Method of Screening for Ovarian Cancer Using Gynecologic Fluids and Mucus
1. Must be fully consented to the collection of the samples in writing (completed
2. Age Criteria: Women age 50 and older who are post menopausal (defined as 12 months
past last menstrual period).
3. Must have: Diagnosis of an adnexal mass or a suspicion of ovarian cancer, or a
suspected fallopian tube or primary peritoneal cancer.
4. Must have a uterus and cervix.
5. Surgery for the adnexal mass must be anticipated. (Only patients with an adnexal mass
requiring surgery will be eligible).
1. Any subject who has a condition that would increase the risk associated with the
standard sampling procedures (Such as a pap smear, or cotton swab in vagina)
2. Prior hysterectomy.
3. Absence of adnexal mass.
4. Primary diagnosis of a cancer other than ovarian, primary peritoneal or fallopian
5. Patients with grossly visible cervical cancer.
6. Previous/recent treatment for any invasive gynecologic cancer.
7. Recent chemotherapy within the prior 2 years. (recent neoadjuvant chemotherapy for
ovarian cancer would exclude the patient from participation).
8. Cervical conization within the prior 6 months.
9. History of Radiation therapy to the pelvis, vagina or cervix.
10. Obvious advanced stage cancer (Stage III or IV) on presentation, if known prior to