- cytologically or histologically confirmed locally advanced esophageal carcinoma
- Age: > 18
- Karnofsky performance status ≥ 70
- At least one measurable tumor lesions according to the RECIST criteria.
- Normal functions of heart, lung, liver, kidney and bone marrow
- Blood exams qualified for chemotherapy, which included hemoglobulin ≥9 g/dl,
neutrophil ≥1.5×109/L and platelet (PLT) ≥100×109/L, creatinine ≤1.5 UNL
- Informed consent signed
- Patients with metastatic disease in the central nervous system (CNS).
- Patients who are pregnant or nursing.
- Patients with poor bone marrow, liver and kidney functions, which would make
- Patients with contraindication for irradiation: complete obstruction of esophagus,
deep esophageal ulcer, fistula to mediastinum, or haematemesis
- coexisted morbidities that investigators believed not suitable for chemoradiation