A Pilot Clinical Trial of Dendritic Cell Vaccine Loaded With Autologous Tumor for Recurrent Ovarian, Primary Peritoneal or Fallopian Tube Cancer
- Subject has had prior cytoreductive surgery yielding tumor for lysate preparation.
- Lysate must meet release criteria
- Subject is 18 years of age or older.
- Subject has an ECOG performance status of less than 1.
- Subject has a life expectancy of greater than 6 months.
- Subject must understand and sign the study specific informed consent.
- Subject may have received chemotherapy or other therapy after harvest of tumor and
prior to enrollment. Subjects who have achieved complete response following
chemotherapy are still eligible for participation
- Subject is platinum-sensitive (progression-free interval greater than 6 months prior
to recent recurrence) or platinum-resistant (progression-free interval less than 6
months prior to recent recurrence).
- Subject has recovered from toxicities of prior chemotherapy or other therapy (to
grade 2 or less).
- Subject may have received prior investigational therapy (including immune therapy).
- Subject may have received prior hormonal therapy.
- Subject may have received prior radiation therapy (except to inguinal region) but
must have completed such therapy prior to enrollment.
- Subject has had at least 4 weeks of postoperative recovery from surgery prior to
enrollment to ensure complete wound healing. Subjects with bowel resections at
surgery who enroll in cohort 2 will begin protocol at least 42 days after surgery if
debulking surgery had comprised of bowel resection or other bowel surgery.
- Subjects who screen fails can be re-enrolled if the causation of the screen fail has
- Subject for whom tumor lysate does not meet release criteria
- Subject has a positive serum Yo antibody
- Subject whose groins are not accessible.
- Subject has a chronic or acute hepatitis C infection.
- Subject has a chronic or acute hepatitis B infection.
- Subject has positive test result at the screening visit for one or more of the
- Anti-HIV 1 Antibody (-HIV-1)
- Subject requires or is likely to require more than a two-week course of
corticosteroids for intercurrent illness. Subject must complete the course of
corticosteroids 2 weeks before screening to meet eligibility.
- Subject has renal insufficiency as defined by a serum creatinine greater than 2.2
mg/dl or BUN greater than 40 mg/dl. Note: If creatinine is greater than 1.5 x ULN,
creatinine clearance must be greater than 60ml/min.
- Subject has proteinuria greater than 3.5 gm over 24 hrs are not eligible for the
study (cohort 2 only)
- Subject with liver failure as defined by a serum total bilirubin greater than 2.0
and/or serum transaminases greater than 3X the upper limits of normal.
- Subject has hematopoietic failure at baseline as defined by one of the following:
- Platelets less than 100,000/ mm3
- WBC less than 2,500/mm3
- Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) less than 1,000/mm3
- Absolute lymphocyte count less than 200/ mm3
- Hematocrit less than 30%
- Subject has any acute infection that requires specific therapy. Acute therapy must
have been completed within seven days prior to study enrollment.
- Subject has a serious, non-healing wound, ulcer, or bone fracture.
- Subject has a clinically significant cardiovascular disease including:
- Uncontrolled hypertension;
- Myocardial infarction or unstable angina within 6 months prior to enrollment
- New York Heart Association (NYHA) Grade II or greater congestive heart failure
- Subject has a grade II or greater peripheral vascular disease.
- Subject has a clinically significant peripheral artery disease, e.g., those with
claudication, within 6 months.
- Subject has any underlying conditions, which would contraindicate therapy with study
treatment (or allergies to reagents used in this study).
- Subject has organ allografts.
- Subject is receiving medication(s) that might affect immune function. Use of H2
antagonists are prohibited as are all antihistamines five days before and five days
after each injection of study vaccine. However, NSAIDS including COX-2 inhibitors,
acetaminophen or aspirin are permitted.
- Subject has clinical symptoms or signs of partial or complete gastrointestinal
obstruction or who require parenteral hydration and/or nutrition (For cohort 2 and
- Subjects with a History of bowel obstruction, including sub-occlusive disease,
related to the underlying disease and history of abdominal fistula, gastrointestinal
perforation or intra-abdominal abscess.
- Subjects with evidence of recto-sigmoid involvement by pelvic examination or bowel
involvement on CT scan or clinical symptoms of bowel obstruction.