Pilot Biomarker Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy of Itraconazole in Patients With Basal Cell Carcinomas
- Have at least one BCC tumor (greater than 4mm in diameter) at any
skin location, which needs to be biopsied and surgically removed.
- Had at least one liver function test (AST, ALT) with normal results in the last year.
- Willing to take drug during the 2-3 weeks between biopsy and surgical removal of BCC.
- Consent to research use of their BCC tissue.
Exclusion Criteria:- No history or current hepatitis or other liver disease.
- Currently taking systemic medications that would affect BCC tumors (oral retinoids)
or metabolism of Itraconazole (anti-convulsants, corticosteroids)
- History or current evidence of malabsorption or liver disease that would impair the
absorption of Itraconazole as measured by liver function tests within the past one
year prior to enrollment.
- History or current evidence of hyperthyroidism that would increase metabolism of
- Unable to attend to 2nd study visit at Stanford for MOHS surgical excision
- Current immunosuppression (cancer, autoimmune disease) or taking immunosuppressive
- Pregnant or lactating female
- Any female that is trying to get pregnant