Open-label, Non-randomized, Non-controlled, Multicenter Phase II Study Investigating Cetuximab in Combination With Concomitant-boost Radiotherapy as First-line Treatment for Japanese Patients With Newly Diagnosed Locally Advanced SCCHN.
1. The patient has pathologically proven squamous cell carcinoma arising in the
oropharynx, hypopharynx, or larynx.
2. The patient has been confirmed Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor expressing in tumor
specimen by immunohistochemistry.
3. The patient has stage III or IV disease (Unio Internationalis Contra Cancrum /
International Union against Cancer Tumor-Lymph Nodes-Metastases classification) with
an expected survival of ≥ 12 months.
4. The patient has at least bi-dimensionally measurable disease.
5. The patient is medically suitable to withstand a course of the definitive radiation
6. The patient aged ≥ 20 years old at informed consent
7. The patient's Karnofsky performance status is ≥ 60
8. Hemoglobin ≥ 9g/dL
9. Neutrophil ≥ 1500/mm^3
10. Platelet ≥ 100,000/mm^3
11. Total Bilirubin ≤ 1.5 mg/dL
12. Aspartate Aminotransferase ≤ 2 x the upper limit of normal
13. Alanine Aminotransferase ≤ 2 x the upper limit of normal
14. Serum creatinine ≤ 1.5 mg/dL
15. Serum calcium concentration: within normality
16. The patient is eligible if disease free from a previously treated malignancy for
greater than three years.
17. The patient agrees to use effective contraception if procreative potential exists.
18. The patient has given signed informed consent
19. The patient who is a Japanese with Japanese citizenship
1. The patient has evidence of distant metastatic disease. The patient who has any
metastatic disease documented by Magnetic Resonance Imaging for the head and neck,
and Computed Tomography for the chest and abdomen should be excluded.
2. The patient has squamous cell carcinoma arising in the nasopharynx or oral cavity.
3. The patient has received prior systemic chemotherapy within the last three years.
4. The patient has undergone previous surgery for the tumor under study other than
5. The patient has received prior radiation therapy to the head and neck.
6. The patient's radiation therapy is considered to be a part of a postoperative regimen
following primary surgical resection.
7. The patient is pregnant or breast feeding.
8. The patient has received prior Cetuximab or murine monoclonal antibody (including
chimeric antibody) therapy or a history of severe hypersensitivity to any component
of Cetuximab solution for Injection.
9. The patient has a medical or psychological condition that would not permit the
patient to complete the study or sign informed consent (including drug abuse).
10. The patient has uncontrolled diabetes mellitus, malignant hypertension, or liver
11. The patient has or has suffered from a pulmonary fibrosis, acute pulmonary disorder,
or interstitial pneumonia.
12. The patient has an active infection (infection requiring intravenous anti-bacterial,
anti-fungus, or anti-viral agent), or known and declared Human Immunodeficiency Virus
13. The patient has a clinically relevant coronary artery disease or history of
myocardial infarction in the last 12 months or high risk of uncontrolled arrhythmia
or uncontrolled cardiac insufficiency
14. The patient has a dental disease which requires incision and drainage.
15. The patient has active multiple cancers (excluding skin cancer except for melanoma,
and carcinoma in situ of the cervix or the digestive tract) in the last 3 years.
16. The patient has been received some investigational medication within 30 days before