1. Males and females over the age of 18 with inflammatory bowel disease; healthy
controls will be age- and sex-matched.
2. The patient must understand and voluntarily sign and informed consent document
3. A history of chronic (greater than 1 month) ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease
diagnosed and documented by the standard clinical, radiographic, endoscopic, and
4. (Group 1): Outpatients at CSMC IBD center with IBD who are on maintenance anti-TNF
therapy with infliximab OR ADALIMUMAB plus concomitant immunomodulator therapy (with
either 6MP, AZA, or MTX)
5. (Group 2): Outpatients at CSMC's IBD Center with documented IBD who are not on any
immune-suppressive medications. Treatment with oral or topical 5-ASA products,
antibiotics, or probiotics, are permitted.
6. (Group 3): Healthy volunteers without chronic illness, not on immune-suppressive
1. Hypersensitivity to any component of the vaccine
2. Current signs or symptoms of severe, progressive or uncontrolled renal, hepatic,
hematologic, endocrine (including thyroid), pulmonary, cardiac, infectious,
neurologic or cerebral disease. Included are ongoing chronic active conditions such
as chronic active hepatitis.
3. Patients who in the judgment of the investigator are unwilling or unable to comply
with all the protocol-related assessments and procedures.
4. History of alcohol or other drug abuse within one year, or any conditions associated
with poor compliance.
5. Patients in whom venipunctures are not feasible due to poor tolerability or lack of
6. Healthy volunteers or patients with a history of prior pneumococcal vaccination
7. Any condition which, in the opinion of the Investigator, places the patient at
unacceptable risk if he/she were to participate in the study.