Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria:
- Patients must have a histologically or cytologically proven solid malignancy which is
resistant to conventional therapy or for which no effective therapy is known.
- Patients with measurable or non-measurable disease are eligible for entry to this
study. In addition, patients without measurable or non-measurable disease are also
- Patients must have recovered from the acute toxic effects of all prior chemotherapy,
immunotherapy, or radiotherapy prior to entering this study. Neuropathy must have
recovered to grade 1. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy may be given within 4 weeks
prior to the start of protocol treatment.
- Patients must be ≥18 years old.
- ECOG 0-2 at study entry.
- Patients must have a life expectancy of greater than 8 weeks.
- Required Laboratory Values:
- absolute neutrophil count ≥1,500/mm3
- platelets ≥100,000/mm3
- hemoglobin ≥9.0 g/dL
- total bilirubin ≤1.5 x ULN
- AST(SGOT)/ALT(SGPT) ≤1.5 x ULN (≤2.5 x ULN for patients with liver metastases
- alkaline phosphatase ≤2.5 x ULN
- creatinine ≤1.5 x ULN OR
- creatinine clearance ≥60 mL/min/1.732 for patients with creatinine levels
above 2.0 mg/dl
- serum cholesterol ≤350 mg/dL /9.0 mmol/L (fasting)
- triglycerides ≤400 mg/dL (fasting)*
- albumin ≥3.0 mg/dL
- PT/INR ≤1.5, unless the patient is on full dose warfarin or stable
dose of LMW heparin with a therapeutic INR of >1.5 - ≤3
- Patients cannot be receiving enzyme-inducing antiepileptic drugs (EIAEDs; e.g.,
phenytoin, carbamazepine, phenobarbital) nor any other CYP3A4 inducer such as
rifampin or St. John's wort, as these may decrease temsirolimus levels.
- Patients with known hypersensitivity reactions to macrolide antibiotics (such as
erythromycin, clarithromycin, and azithromycin) are not eligible for this trial.
- For all sexually active patients, the use of adequate contraception (hormonal or
barrier method of birth control) will be required prior to study entry and for the
duration of study participation. Non-pregnant status will be determined in all women
of childbearing potential. Pregnant and nursing women are not eligible.
- Patients must not have active CNS disease.
- Patients must have recovered from uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but
not limited to, ongoing or active infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure,
unstable angina pectoris or cardiac arrhythmia.
- Patients must have signed a Washington University, Human Research Protection Office
(HRPO) approved informed consent. The patient should not have any serious medical or
psychiatric illness that would prevent either the giving of informed consent or the
receipt of treatment.