A Phase I/II Non-Randomized, Open-Label, Dose-Finding Study of Ispinesib (SB-715992) Followed By a Fixed-Dose Study in Chemotherapy-Naïve Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC).
1. Histologically or cytologically confirmed locally advanced (Stage IIIb) or metastatic
(Stage IV) adenocarcinoma of the breast. Staging is determined according to the
American Joint Committee on Cancer, Cancer Staging Manual, Sixth Edition
2. Has not received prior cytotoxic chemotherapy for breast cancer and is not currently
receiving other anti-cancer therapy, including trastuzumab or other cytostatics,
hormonal therapy, radiotherapy, immunotherapy, biologic or investigational agent(s).
Note: Prior therapy does not include (a) previous surgery and/or radiotherapy (if
less than 25% of pelvic bone marrow), (b) adjuvant and/or palliative hormonal
therapy, (c) gefitinib (Iressa®) or trastuzumab (Herceptin®) given as monotherapy.
3. Phase I only: Patients who have previously received anthracycline therapy in either
the adjuvant or neoadjuvant setting may participate, provided a minimum of one year
has elapsed since last treatment.
4. Phase I only: Must have evaluable, but not necessarily measurable disease by
5. Phase II only: Must have at least one unidimensionally measurable lesion evaluable
by RECIST criteria. The lesion(s) must be documented by photography, radiography,
direct measurement, or palpation.
6. ECOG Performance Status of 0-1.
7. Female patients, 18 years of age or older.
8. A female is eligible to enter and participate in the study if she is of:
1. Non-childbearing potential (i.e., physiologically incapable of becoming
pregnant), including any female who:
- Has had a hysterectomy,
- Has had a bilateral oophorectomy (ovariectomy),
- Has had a bilateral tubal ligation, or
- Is post-menopausal (a demonstration of total cessation of menses for ≥ 1
2. Childbearing potential, has a negative serum pregnancy test at screening, and
agrees to one of the following:
- Intrauterine Device (IUD),
- Vasectomized partner who is sterile prior to the female patient's entry and
is the sole sexual partner for that female,
- Complete abstinence from sexual intercourse for two weeks before exposure
to investigational product, throughout the clinical trial, and for at least
one week after the last dose of investigational product, or
- Double barrier contraception (condom with spermicidal jelly, foam,
suppository, or film, diaphragm with spermicide, or male condom and
- Progesterone based contraceptive with a failure rate of < 1%.
9. A signed and dated written informed consent is obtained from the patient or the
patient's legally acceptable representative prior to screening.
1. Receipt of prior cytotoxic chemotherapy except in an adjuvant or neo adjuvant setting
2. Has not recovered from prior therapy including any major surgery, radiotherapy,
immunotherapy, biologic or investigational agent(s).
3. Absolute neutrophil count (ANC) <1,500/mm3.
4. Platelets < 100,000/mm3.
5. Creatinine clearance ≤ 40 mL/min as calculated by the Cockcroft-Gault Formula.
6. Total bilirubin greater than or equal to 1.5 x ULN
7. Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) greater than 2 times the upper limit of normal (ULN)
in the absence of liver metastases (patients with serum transaminase levels up to 5
times ULN in the presence of liver metastases may be enrolled following approval by
Cytokinetics Medical Monitor).
8. Alkaline Phosphate (ALP) greater than or equal to 5 x ULN
9. Female patients who are pregnant or lactating.
10. Women of reproductive potential who do not agree to use an effective contraceptive
11. Any unstable, pre-existing major medical condition or history of other malignancies
(except excised cervical or basal skin/squamous cell carcinoma).
12. Psychological, familial, sociological or geographical conditions that do not permit
compliance with the study protocol.
13. Evidence of central nervous system (CNS) metastases or leptomeningeal disease
14. Evidence of any other malignancy
15. Previous exposure to any Investigational Agent
16. Radiation therapy within 28 days, or within 3 months if BUN is ≥20mg/dl