Effect of Early Palliative Care on Quality of Life of Patients With Advanced Cancer of the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract: a Randomised Controlled Trial.
- Histologically or cytologically confirmed advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma or
biliary tract adenocarcinoma or advanced gastric and/or gastroesophagic
- Diagnosed within 12 weeks in the University Hospital of Ghent or referred from
another hospital within 3 months after the start of first line-treatment;
- An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of 0, 1 or 2 and
ability to read and respond to questions in Dutch.
Type of Study:
Allocation: Randomized, Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study, Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment, Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Health Services Research
Quality of life of the patient and his family caregiver at baseline.
This will be measured with validated questionnaires(EORTC-QLQ C30, McGill QoL, SF-36).
Outcome Time Frame:
Simon Vanbelle, MD, PhD
Ghent University Hospital
Belgium: Ethics Committee
- Advanced Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma
- Biliary Tract Adenocarcinoma
- Advanced Gastric Adenocarcinoma
- Gastroesophagic Adenocarcinoma
- Adenocarcinoma, Mucinous
- Stomach Neoplasms