Omitting Elective Nodal Irradiation and Irradiating Post-induction Versus Pre-induction Chemotherapy Tumor Extent for Limited-stage Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Patients were eligible if they had histologic or cytologic verification of small cell
lung cancer (SCLC) and were radiographically confirmed limited-stage
- Patients with contralateral mediastinal and ipsilateral supraclavicular
lymphadenopathy were also included.
- The patients should be between 18 and 75 years old without previous thoracic
radiotherapy, chemotherapy or biotherapy.
- Karnofsky performance status was ≥ 80.
- Forced expiratory volume at 1 second (FEV1) ≥ 1 L.
- Had measurable or assessable disease.
- Neutrophilic granulocyte ≥ 1.5×109/L, haemoglobin ≥ 100 g/L, platelet count ≥
- Serum creatine and bilirubin < 1.5 × the upper normal limit (UNL), aminotransferase <
2 × UNL.
- Weight loss was less than 10% within 6 months before diagnosis.
- Written informed consent was required from all patients.
- Patients were ineligible if they had a history of other malignant diseases except for
non-melanomatous skin cancer and carcinoma in situ of the cervix, or any
contraindications for chemoradiotherapy, malignant pleural and/or pericardial