Perioperative Inspiratory Oxygen Fraction - Effect on Occurrence of Subsequent Cancer After Abdominal Surgery (Follow-up of the PROXI Trial)
- Age 18 years or older.
- Laparotomy, acute or elective. In case of gynaecological surgery only if malignancy
is suspected (defined as risk of ovarian malignancy index >200 or a specimen with
atypical or neoplastic cells).
- Other surgery within 30 days (except surgery in local anaesthesia).
- Chemotherapy within 3 months.
- Inability to give informed consent.
- Inability to keep oxygen saturation above 90% without supplemental oxygen (measured
preoperatively by pulse oximetry).
Type of Study:
Observational Model: Case Control, Time Perspective: Prospective
Frequency of patients with the composite outcome measure of either a subsequent, new or recurrent, cancer registration or a new histological specimen showing any neoplasm
Outcome Time Frame:
36-60 months after randomization
Christian S Meyhoff, MD, PhD
Denmark: National Board of Health