A Pilot Study of AuroLase Therapy in Subjects With Primary and/or Metastatic Lung Tumors
- Subjects must have documented histological or cytological evidence of tumor(s) of the
- Subjects must have one or more primary or metastatic tumors of the lung which have at
least 10 mm in long axis as evaluated by spiral CT scan evaluation performed within
last 30 days.
- Target lesions should be accessible to examination (examination by fiberoptic
bronchoscopy is permitted) and to biopsy.
- Each index lesion should be large enough to provide at least 6 mg of tumor tissue by
biopsy for assessment by neutron activation analysis.
- Tumors must be measurable according to RECIST criteria.
- Subjects must have ECOG Performance Score of 0, 1 or 2.
- Subjects must be ≥ 18 years of age.
- Subjects or their legal representative must be able to read, understand and sign an
- Adequate renal function as evidenced by serum creatinine ≤ 2.0 mg/dL.
- Adequate hepatic function as evidenced by: Serum total bilirubin ≤ 2.0 mg/dL;
Alkaline phosphatase ≤ 2X the ULN for the reference lab; SGOT/SGPT ≤ 2X the ULN for
the reference lab.
- Women of childbearing potential must agree to use an effective form of contraception
during the study and for 90 days following treatment (an effective form of
contraception is an oral contraceptive or a double barrier method). Women who are
NOT of childbearing potential are those who have undergone a bilateral oophorectomy
or who have undergone menopause, defined as an absence of a menstrual cycle for 12
- Negative pregnancy test for women of childbearing potential.
- Subjects with known hypersensitivity to any of the components of the PEGylated
AuroShell suspension (polyethylene glycol, gold).
- Patients who are pregnant and/or lactating.
- Patients who have undergone splenectomy.
- Subjects who are receiving concurrent investigational therapy or who have received
investigational therapy within the 30 days prior to AuroShell infusion
(investigational therapy is defined as treatment for which there is currently no
regulatory authority approved indication).
- Subjects with evidence of an active bacterial infection or with a fever ≥ 38.5 ºC
(101.3 ºF) within 3 days of the first scheduled day of dosing.
- Subject who has had a course of radiotherapy in the treatment area within the 30 days
prior to AuroShell infusion.
- Subject who has had a course of chemotherapy or other anti-neoplastic therapy in the
30 days prior to AuroShell infusion.
- Life expectancy of less than 3 months.
- Any other medical condition, including mental illness or substance abuse, deemed by
the Investigator to be likely to interfere with a subject's ability to sign informed
consent, cooperate and participate in the study, or interfere with the interpretation
of the results.