Cabazitaxel and Radiation For Patients With Pathologically Determined Stage 3 Prostate Cancer and/or Patients With PSA Elevation (>0.1- < 2.0 ng/mL) Following Radical Prostatectomy
Conditions for Patient Eligibility
Each patient must meet all of the following inclusion criteria to be enrolled in the
- Radical prostatectomy for adenocarcinoma of the prostate with at least one of the
- Extracapsular tumor extension,
- Positive surgical margins,
- Seminal vesicle invasion
- Regional lymph node positive (N1)
- Post-prostatectomy PSA of > 0.1 - < 2.0 ng/mL at least 6 weeks after
prostatectomy and within 30 days of registration in a patient with T2 or T3
disease at prostatectomy.
- No distant metastases.
- No prior pelvic or prostate radiation or chemotherapy for prostate cancer.
- ECOG performance status 0-1.
- Required entry laboratory parameters within 14 days of study entry: Granulocytes ≥
1500 cells/mm3; platelet count ≥100,000 cells/mm3, Creatinine ≤ 1.5X upper limit of
normal (if creatinine clearance 1.0-1.5x ULN, creatinine clearance will be calculated
according to Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Group formula and patients with
creatinine clearance < 60 ml/min should be excluded),19 .Hgb > 9.0 g/dl, total
bilirubin ≤ 1x ULN, and AST or ALT ≤ 2.5 x ULN.
- Life expectancy of at least 1 year.
- Must not have uncontrolled severe, intercurrent illness.
- No concurrent anticancer therapy.
- Men of childbearing potential must be willing to consent to using effective
contraception while on treatment and for at least 3 months thereafter.
- Signed study-specific consent form prior to study entry.
- Conditions for Patient Ineligibility
Patients meeting any of the following exclusion criteria are not to be enrolled in the
- Evidence of distant metastases (M1). Equivocal bone scans are allowed if plain films
are negative for metastasis.
- Major medical or psychiatric illness which, in the investigator's opinion, would
prevent completion of treatment and would interfere with follow-up.
- Prior invasive malignancy (except non-melanomatous skin cancer) unless disease free
for a minimum of 2 years (For example, carcinoma in situ of the oral cavity or
bladder are permissible).
- History of severe hypersensitivity (> grade 3) reaction to Cabazitaxel or other drugs
formulated with polysorbate 80.
- History of severe hypersensitivity (> grade 3) to docetaxel.
- Any uncontrolled severe, intercurrent illness (including uncontrolled diabetes)
- At least 4 weeks since any major surgery.
- Patients on concurrent anticancer therapy.
- PSA > 2ng/ml
- Concurrent or planned treatment with strong inhibitors or inducers of cytochrome p450
3A4/5 (a one-week wash out period is necessary for patients who are already on these
treatments (see appendix H and I)
- Androgen deprivation therapy started prior to prostatectomy for > 6 months duration;
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy prior to prostatectomy;
- Prior cryosurgery or brachytherapy of the prostate; prostatectomy should be the
primary treatment and not a salvage procedure;
- Prior pelvic radiotherapy;