1. Patients must have newly diagnosed multiple myeloma
2. Patients must have received no prior chemotherapy for this disease. Patients must
have received no prior radiotherapy to a large area of the pelvis (more than half of
the pelvis). Prior steroid treatment is allowed provided treatment was not more than
2 weeks in duration. Patients must not have received any prior treatment with
bortezomib or lenalidomide.
3. Patients must be ≥ 18 years of age at the time of registration.
4. Patients must have a Zubrod Performance Status (PS) of 0 - 3
5. Patients must have adequate marrow function as defined herein:
6. Platelet count ≥ 80 x 103/mcL,
7. ANC ≥ 1 x 103/mcL, and Hemoglobin (including patients who have been either transfused
or treated with EPO) ≥ 9 g/dL.
8. Institutions must submit a local cytogenetics report and FISH analysis report
9. Patients with pathologic fractures, pneumonia at diagnosis or symptomatic
10. Patients must have a calculated or measured creatinine clearance > 30 cc/min.
11. Patients must not have uncontrolled, active infection requiring intravenous
12. Patients must not have any psychiatric illness
13. Patients must not be Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C or HIV positive
14. Patients must not have a history of cerebral vascular accident with persistent
15. Patients must be able to take aspirin 325 mg daily
16. Females of childbearing potential (FCBP) must have a negative serum or urine
17. No prior malignancy is allowed except for adequately treated basal cell (or squamous
cell) skin cancer, in situ cervical cancer or other cancer for which the patient has
been disease-free for five years.
18. Patients must be offered participation in GEP molecular studies for the evaluation of