1. aged 18 and older;
2. smokes at least 10 cigarettes daily and has done so for at least the past 12 months;
3. wants to quit smoking in the next 30 days;
4. willing to be randomly assigned to either group;
5. willing and able to speak and read in English;
6. willing and medically eligible to use nicotine replacement therapy (NRT),
7. currently resides in the U.S., and expects to continue for at least 12 months;
8. not participating in other smoking cessation interventions;
9. has regular access to a telephone.
10. has regular access to an email address.
- The Exclusion criteria are the opposite of the Inclusion criteria listed above. In
addition, the following exclusion criteria also apply:
1. another member of household enrolled in the study;
2. currently using medication or nicotine replacement products to help with
3. currently using any non-cigarette tobacco products;
4. pregnant or breastfeeding;
5. had a heart attack in last 30 days;
6. within the last 6 months, diagnosed with angina, heart pain, or irregular
7. serious adverse reactions to nicotine patches including anaphylaxis and related
symptoms such as hives, respiratory difficulty, and/or angioedema.