The Effects of Oral Cinnamon Extract on Menstrual Cyclicity in PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome
- Patients aged greater than 18 years of age
- Ability to understand and willingness to comply with the study protocol
- Written informed consent
- Patients meeting the Rotterdam PCOS workshop criteria for polycystic ovary syndrome,
defined by oligomenorrhea or amenorrhea and at least one of the following two signs:
clinical or biochemical evidence of hyperandrogenism or ultrasound finding of
polycystic appearing ovaries.
- Current pregnancy or lactation
- Liver disease or elevated liver enzymes
- Established diagnosis of diabetes mellitus
- Abnormal serum glucose levels either at fasting or after the 2-hr oral glucose
tolerance test meeting criteria for the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus according to
the American Diabetes Association.
- Insulin sensitizing treatment within 3 months prior to or during the eight week study
- Hormonal treatment involving estrogen or progesterone 3 months prior to or during the
study period, with the exception of medroxyprogesterone acetate for withdrawal
- Systemic or inhaled corticosteroids.
- Known hypersensitive reaction to cinnamon.
- Patients with seizure disorders, known cardiovascular disease, or cerebrovascular
- Body mass index (BMI)range 20-50 (excluding all women with BMI under 20 or over 50).