EEG as a Predictor for Postoperative Pain and the Development of Chronic Postsurgical Pain After Breast Cancer Surgery
- Age 18 - 65 years.
- ASA 1-2.
- Sufficient comprehension of the Dutch spoken and written language.
- Elective curative breast cancer surgery, both mastectomy and breast- conserving
- Stage I and II breast cancer.
- Written informed consent is obtained
- Previous breast surgery, both ipsilateral and contralateral.
- Stage III-IV breast cancer.
- Chronic pain (>3months) with an average severity of at least a VAS score 4 during the
last two weeks.
- Chronic pain for which invasive treatment is needed.
- Use of (weak / strong) opioids in the last week.
- A history of opioid addiction.
- Regular use of the following medications in the last year:
antiepileptics,antipsychotics and anxiolytics.
- ASA 3 or higher.
- Consumption of alcohol (>4 units) and / or drugs the evening before.
- Alcohol consumption (>= 5 units/day).
- Illiteracy, problems with self expression, language barrier.
- Serious vision and / or hearing problems, interfering the performance of the
- A history of psychiatric complaints and/or epilepsy .
- A medical history of CVA or TIA.