Phase I/II Study of Therapeutic Vaccination With Escalating Doses of Theravac®, a Proteinic Vector Targeting Dendritic Cells Coupled to a Melanoma Antigen, in Patients With Advanced Metastatic Melanoma.
1. Histologically proven cutaneous, uveal or mucosal melanoma.
2. Melanoma must be metastatic. The origin of the primary could be cutaneous, uveal or
mucosal and any metastatic stage is accepted, except if brain or leptomeningeal
localizations are present, or if plasma LDH are elevated more than 1.5 normal upper
values (see also below).
3. HLA-A2 positive.
4. The melanoma must express the tyrosinase gene (positive RT-PCR on a frozen pre-immune
tumor sample) (see Appendix B).
5. At least one measurable or non-measurable tumor lesion (see Section 8.1).
6. Expected survival of at least 3 months.
7. Karnofsky performance scale ≥70 or WHO performance status of 0 or 1 (see Appendix C).
8. Vital laboratory parameters should be within normal range, except for the following
laboratory parameters, which must be within the ranges specified:
Lab Parameter Range Hemoglobin ≥ 10 g/dl or ≥ 6,25 mmol/l Granulocytes ≥ 1,500/µl
Lymphocytes ≥ 700/µl Platelets ≥ 100,000/µl Serum creatinin ≤ 2.0 mg/dl or ≤ 177
μmol/l Serum bilirubin ≤ 2.0 mg/dl or ≤ 34.2 μmol/l ASAT and ALAT ≤ 2 x the normal
upper limits LDH ≤ 1.5 x the normal upper limit.
9. Viral serology:
- HIV (human immunodeficiency virus): negative antibodies.
- HBV (hepatitis B virus): negative antigens; antibodies may be positive.
- HCV (hepatitis C virus): negative antibodies.
10. Age ≥ 18 years
11. Able and willing to give valid written informed consent
1. Previous treatment with more than one regimen of systemic chemotherapy, combined or
not with non-specific immunotherapy such as interferon alpha or interleukins.
Chemoimmunotherapy or radiotherapy must be stopped within the preceding 4 weeks (6
weeks for nitrosoureas and mitomycin C).
2. Previous treatment with a vaccine known or likely to contain the Tyrosinase.A2
3. Clinically significant heart disease (NYHA Class III or IV) i.e. NYHA class 3
congestive heart failure; myocardial infarction within the past six months; unstable
angina; coronary angioplasty within the past 6 months; uncontrolled atrial or
ventricular cardiac arrhythmias.
4. Active immunodeficiency or autoimmune disease. Vitiligo is not an exclusion
5. Other serious acute or chronic illnesses, e.g. active infections requiring
antibiotics, bleeding disorders, or other conditions requiring concurrent medications
not allowed during this study.
6. Other malignancy within 3 years prior to entry into the study, except for treated
non-melanoma skin cancer and cervical carcinoma in situ.
7. Allergy to kanamycin (used in the preparation of the recombinant protein) or to any
other aminoglycoside antibiotic.
8. Lack of availability for immunological and clinical follow-up assessments.
9. Participation in any other clinical trial involving another investigational agent
within 4 weeks prior to enrollment.
10. Pregnancy or breastfeeding.
11. Women of childbearing potential: Refusal or inability to use effective means of