Whole-body Magnetische Resonantie Voor Het Opsporen Van Bot- en Weke Delenmetastasen Bij patiënten Met Een Borstcarcinoom (MetaMaRBo)
About 50 patients with a proven breast cancer and bone metastases will be included.
First step : staging
- nuclear bone scan
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET/CT)
- MR (whole body short tau inversion recovery (STIR)-sequence and T1-sequence and
Diffusion weighted imaging (DWI),no contrast administration
- Validation of whole body diffusion weighted imaging in detection of bone metastases and
visceral metastases, comparing to Bone scan en PET/CT results.
- To calculate cut-off values for DWI for bone and visceral metastases.
Second step : therapy follow-up/therapy assessment.
- Two groups of patients (oncologist takes the decision about therapy)
1. Patients treated by chemotherapy
2. Patients treated by hormonal therapy
- on week 3, 12-16 and 52 in the chemotherapy or hormonal therapy-setting, a whole body
MR (same protocol, no contrast) will be performed.
Whole body MR with DWI is useful and reliable to assess the treatment response.
Observational Model: Case-Only, Time Perspective: Prospective
Validation of whole body diffusion weighted MRI in breastcancer patients
whole body MRI will be correlated to the nucleair bone scan and PET-CT
Steven Pans, MD
UZ Leuven Dept Radiology
Belgium : Institutional Review Board, Local Medical and Ethical Committee.