- Age from 18 to 65 years old (inclusive).
- Subject has been diagnosed with chronic cluster headache according to the 2004
International Headache Society (IHS) criteria 3.1.2.
- Subject reports a minimum of 4 cluster headaches per week.
- Subject reports dissatisfaction with current cluster headache treatment (Criterion
includes both preventive or abortive therapy per the Investigator's standard of care.
Reasons for dissatisfaction with existing headache therapies may include failure of
therapies, contraindication, side effects of therapies, or patient refusal of
- Subject is able to distinguish cluster headaches from other headaches (i.e.,
- Subject has the ability to read and comprehend, and to reliably record information as
required by the Protocol.
- Subject is able to provide written informed consent prior to participation in the
- Subject has had a change in type or dosage of prophylactic headache medications < one
(1) month prior to study enrollment
- Subject has undergone facial surgery in the area of the pterygopalatine fossa or
zygomaticomaxillary buttress ipsilateral to the planned implant site within the last
four (4) months.
- Subject has active oral or dental abscess.
- Subject has been treated with radiation to the facial region within the last six (6)
- Subject has been diagnosed with any major infectious processes such as osteomyelitis,
or primary or secondary malignancies involving the face that have been active or
required treatment in the past six (6) months.
- Subject has other significant pain problem that might confound the study assessments
in the opinion of the Investigator.
- Subject is a woman of childbearing age who is pregnant, nursing, or not using
- Subject is currently participating or has participated in the last month in another
clinical study in which the subject has, is, or will be exposed to an investigational
or non-investigational drug or device.
- Subject is felt to be at risk of non-compliance (e.g., for completing the diary or
maintaining a stable headache medicine regimen) in the Investigator's opinion.
- Subject has had previous lesional radio-frequency ablation of the ipsilateral
sphenopalatine ganglion (SPG).
- Subject has had blocks of the ipsilateral SPG in the last three (3) months.
- Subject has undergone botulinum toxin injections of the head and/or neck in the last
three (3) months.
- Subject has or requires a pacemaker/defibrillator or other implantable device having
a sense amplifier.
- Subject has a history of bleeding disorders or coagulopathy or is unable to
discontinue anticoagulation, antiplatelet, or GP IIb IIIa inhibitor medication in
preparation for the implantation procedure.
- Subject is not suitable for the study for any reason in the judgment of the