Pilot Study to Examine Histological Characteristics of Mammographic Density With Molecular Breast Imaging: Part 1 - Postmenopausal Women
1. Age 40 or older
2. Be postmenopausal as defined as having at least 12 consecutive months of amenorrhea
3. Screening mammogram performed at Mayo Clinic Rochester within one year prior to the
current MBI study which demonstrates
1. Negative or benign assessment (BIRADs category 1-2)
2. No proliferative benign lesions (e.g. fibroadenomas) identified
3. Heterogeneously dense or extremely dense parenchyma (BIRADs density category 3
4. MBI performed less than one month prior to biopsy demonstrating either significant FD
or photopenic FD.
1. Using any exogenous hormones (e.g., hormonal contraceptives, sex steroid hormones) or
any estrogen receptor modulating drugs (e.g., tamoxifen, raloxifene) or any aromatase
inhibitors within six months prior to study biopsy.
2. Personal history of any cancer, except non-melanomatous skin cancer
3. Current breast symptoms
4. Breast implants
5. Known allergy to local anesthetic.
6. History of bleeding complications from prior interventions
7. Current use of anticoagulants (e.g., Coumadin or other blood thinners)
8. Major medical condition