Organ Preservation in the Multispeciality Therapy of Stage II-IV Locally Advanced Head and Neck Cancer
Subjects previously enrolled in a treatment protocol for locally advanced head and neck
cancer who met the following criteria:
1. Patients with Stage IV carcinoma of the nasal or oral cavity, nasopharynx pharynx,
larynx, paranasal sinuses, cervical esophagus, or hypopharynx are eligible. Patients
with Stage III carcinoma of the nasopharynx, base of tongue and hypopharynx are also
eligible. Therapy is given with curative intent.
Prior to entry in the study the resectability and standard treatment options for each
patient will be determined during a joint evaluation by a team composed of an
attending surgeon, a radiation oncologist and a medical oncologist. In addition the
timing and feasibility of surgery will be determined in each patient prior to
initiation of therapy. The unequivocal demonstration of distant metastasis confers
2. Measurable disease is not required, but all disease will be carefully evaluated.
3. Patients must have a histologically or cytologically confirmed diagnosis of squamous
cell carcinoma, mucoepidermoid carcinoma or lymphoepithelioma.
4. Patients must have not received prior chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
5. Patients must have performance status of >60%
6. Patients must have a WBC count of >3.5, an ANC count >1500 and a platlet count of
7. The serum creatinine must be equal to or less than 1.5 m/dlor the calculated
creatinine clearance must exceed 50cc/min.
8. Patient must be free of significant infection or other severe complicating medical
9. Pregnancy will constitute an absolute contraindication to entrance on this protocol.