Prospective Study of Aromatase Inhibitor-Associated Musculoskeletal Symptoms in Non-Metastatic, Post Menopausal Breast Cancer Patients
- Women 18 years and older with non-metastatic hormone receptor (ER and/or PR) positive
breast cancer who are eligible for and planning on starting treatment with an AI
within one month of signing consent.
- Postmenopausal, defined as at least one of the following: a) amenorrhea for at least
12 months b) prior bilateral oophorectomy at least 2 years prior to trial
- History of autoimmune connective tissue disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus,
or other autoimmune conditions affecting joints.
- Treatment with steroid (for any condition, except for chemotherapy premedication)
within 30 days of trial registration.
- Prior treatment with an AI (patients previously or currently on tamoxifen are
eligible as long as patients are off tamoxifen for 2 weeks prior to baseline blood
- Active or ongoing infection
- Known metastatic disease
- Known history of HIV or hepatitis infections
- Ongoing radiation therapy (radiation must have been completed 2 weeks prior to
starting treatment with an AI)
- Non-invasive (DCIS, LCIS) cancer only (no diagnosis of invasive cancer)
- Pregnant or lactating
- Unable to speak, read, and write in English