Efficacy of Two Algae Formulations on Lipid Metabolism, Inflammation and Oxidative Stress Status in Individuals With Psoriasis
- Males and females with clinically diagnosed psoriasis
- Plasma LDL-C 80-190 mg/dL, and TG levels below 400 mg/dL.
- Body mass index (BMI) range will be 22 to 32 kg/m2.
- Subjects must demonstrate an ability to understand dietary procedures and be judged
as compliant and motivated by the investigators.
- Subjects will be permitted to take stable doses of medications (including drugs for
thyroid disease and hypertension)will be permitted if the dose level is maintained
stable throughout the study.
- potential subjects must have stable psoriasis and their treatments must remain
constant throughout the study.
- recent (i.e. less than 3 mo) or chronic use of oral hypolipidemic therapy, including
fish oils, or probucol within the last 6 mo
- history of chronic use of alcohol (>2 drinks/d), systemic antibodies,
corticosteroids, androgens, or phenytoin
- subjects on anticoagulant therapy (such as warfarin), taking medications and/or
natural health products known to affect lipid metabolism (cholestyramine, colestipol,
niacin, clofibrate, gemfibrozil, probucol, HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, high dose
dietary supplements or fish oil capsules (>4g/day), guggul, lecithin, evening
primrose oil within the last six month period will be excluded. In addition,
subjects will not be allowed to consume any of these medications during the study
- myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass, or other major surgical procedures
within the last six months
- recent onset and any history of angina, congestive heart failure, heart disease,
inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, diabetes, lactose intolerance
gastrointestinal, renal, pulmonary, hepatic or biliary disease, or cancer
- moderate or high risk for CAD
- uncontrolled hypertension defined as untreated systolic blood pressure > 160 mmHg
and/or diastolic blood pressure > 100 mmHg
- pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant during the course of the
- bleeding disorder, anemia, or significant recent blood loss/donation
- allergy/sensitivity to any of the ingredients in the study product or placebo
- chronic user of algal products, fiber laxative (greater than 2 doses/wk), or
stimulant laxatives or has a history of eating disorders, exercise greater than 15
miles/wk or 4,000 kcal/wk.