- Histological or cytological evidence of locally advanced, metastatic or recurrent
NSCLC (stage IIIB or Iv)
- At least one measurable lesion(s) by RECIST criteria
- No previous palliative chemotherapy
- Age 18 or higher.
- ECOG PS 0-2
- Life expectancy of at least 3 months.
- Adequate hematologic, hepatic, renal function
- Adequate bone marrow function (≥ ANC 1,500/ul, ≥ platelet 100,000/ul)
- Adequate liver function (≤ Total bilirubin ≤ 1.5 upper normal limit, ≤ AST/ALT x 2.5
upper normal limit, Alkaline phosphatase ≤ 2.5 upper normal limit)
- Adequate renal function (≤ serum creatinine 1.5 mg/dl)
- Written informed consent
- No prior chemotherapy for NSCLC
- Patients with malignancies (other than NSCLC), except for adequately treated
nonmelanoma skin cancer or in situ carcinoma of the cervix.
- Peripheral neuropathy ≥ grade 2 (NCI CTC, version 3.0)
- Clinically significant cardiac disease (medically uncontrollable heart disease)
- Active infection or other serious medical illness
- Contraindication to any drug contained in the chemotherapy regimen
- Pregnant or lactating women were excluded.