Evaluation of Benefit and Side Effects of Double Umbilical Cord Blood Units Stem Cell Transplantation in Hematologic Malignancies
- Hematologically & Histologically confirmed acute lymphoblastic or acute and chronic
myeloid leukemia in Remission
- Aged 1 year to 50 years
- Absence of HLA compatible related or other related donor.
- Availability of suitable UCB units.
- karnofsky performance score (> 12 yr) or lansky play performance(<12 yr) : 80- 100
- Adequate renal function defined as:Serum creatinine <1.5 x normal,
- Adequate liver function defined as:Total bilirubin <1.5 x normal, or SGOT (AST) or
SGPT (ALT) <3.0 x normal
- Adequate cardiac function defined as: Ejection fraction >50% by echocardiogram.
- Adequate pulmonary function defined as:Uncorrected DLCO 50% by pulmonary function
test.For children who are uncooperative, no evidence of dyspnea at rest, no exercise
intolerance, and a pulse oximetry >94% on room air
- Age: < 1year or > 50 year
- Patients with an available 5-6/6 HLA-A, -B, -DRB1 matched sibling or other related
- karnofsky performance score (> 12 yr) or lansky play performance(<12 yr) < 80
- HIV positive patients.
- Female patients who are pregnant or breast feeding
- Life expectancy severely limited by diseases of vital organs other than the disease
indication for transplant
- Serious concurrent untreated infection e.g. active tuberculosis, mycoses or viral
- Serious psychiatric/ psychological disorders
- Absence of /inability to provide informed consent
- Clinical or Paraclinical evidence of CNS or PNS involvement