Cross-Over Broccoli Sprouts Trial - Qidong
- Adults aged 25-65 in good general health with no history of a chronic illness
- normal liver function tests (ALT, AST, bilirubin)
- normal renal function tests (creatinine, BUN, urinalysis)
- serum alpha-fetoprotein negative
- personal history of cancer, except for non-melanoma skin cancer
- use of prescribed medications
- hepatomegaly by clinical exam
- unwillingness to avoid cruciferous vegetable consumption for the duration of the
- for women, a positive pregnancy test.
Type of Study:
Allocation: Randomized, Endpoint Classification: Pharmacokinetics/Dynamics Study, Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment, Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Caregiver, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor), Primary Purpose: Basic Science
Urinary levels of glucoraphanin or sulforaphane and metabolites.
Outcome Time Frame:
Endpoints will be assessed on urine samples collected daily during the intervention.
Thomas W Kensler, PhD
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
United States: Institutional Review Board