- A first-degree biological relative (a child, sibling or parent) as per self report of
an MSKCC follow-up surgical patient diagnosed with melanoma as per pathology report
or clinician's judgment;
- English-fluent; the surveys were designed and validated in English and are not
currently available in other languages. Translation of questionnaires into other
languages would require reestablishing the reliability and validity of these
measures. Therefore, participants must be able to communicate in English to complete
- 18 years of age or older;
- For Phase I only: FDRs who live within a 50 mile radius of MSKCC to make it feasible
for Ms. Shuk to be able to arrive at each person's home for the in-home interview
without the cost being prohibitive;
- For Phase I only: Can recall a period when s/he was out in the sun for at least one
hour on a sunny day this past summer 2009.
- For Phase I only: Can recall a separate period when s/he was out in the sun for at
least one hour on a sunny day this past summer 2009, but s/he was in a different
location from the period referenced above.
- For Phase II only: FDRs who self-report at least 1 consecutive hour in the morning
(dawn to 12:30pm) and 1 consecutive hour in the afternoon (12:30-5pm) of daily
(weekend and weekday) outdoor activities on the screening questionnaire
- First-degree relatives of melanoma patients who report never using UVR protection;
- Patient's who provide consent for Phase I will not be eligible for Phase II.
- Any first-degree relative of a melanoma patient who already has a first-degree
relative who consented to the study;
- Unable to provide informed consent.