Prospective Study With RCT Designed for Evaluation of TCM Five Elements Music Therapy Improving Quality of Life in Patients With Advanced Cancer
Design: As randomized controlled trial (RCT) with un-blinded design will be done.
- Eligible participation will be enrolled based on diagnostic criteria.
- Advanced cancer patient with more than 50 scores of Karnofsky Performance Score
- Diagnosis of advanced cancer
- Patients who are willing to be subject with taking part in this research voluntarily.
- No prior experience with TCM music therapy.
- Newly admitted to TCM oncology department for 3 weeks treatment course.
- Complicated diagnose or one who don't consistent with inclusion criteria.
- Patients suffering from psychosis or diagnosis, or psychiatric diagnoses (e.g.,
- Suffering from acute organ prostration or other condition of demanding to
rescue，inability for accepting music therapy.
- One don't read or fill in diary owing to some causes, such as state of the art or
acuity of vision
- One suffering from hearing disturbance
- Accepted TCM five elements music therapy in the past.
Type of Study:
Allocation: Randomized, Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study, Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment, Masking: Open Label, Primary Purpose: Supportive Care
Comparison of KPS Qol, and Diary at baseline and endpoint in each group (data for < 70 year old group).
Comparison of Qol, KPS, Diary at baseline and endpoint, the result shown here were significantly different for all terms in TCM five elements music group, p=0. p=0.0015, p=0.0015 respectively. However, no significant difference was seen for all terms in Western music group and the no music group respectively (See Table 3).
Outcome Time Frame:
Difference of(pro-post)treatment for KPS,Qol, Diary
Yang Yu fei, doctor
Oncology department of Xi Yuan Hospital, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences
China: Ethics Committee
- advanced cancer
- TCM five elements music therapy
- quality of life (QOL)