Randomized Controlled Trial Examining the Return of Urinary Continence After Robot-assisted Radical Prostatectomy With or Without a Urethrovesical Sling
- Patients must have organ confined prostate cancer.
- Patients must have PSA< 15.
- Patients must have clinical stage prostate cancer < cT3.
- Patients must be scheduled for robot assisted transperitoneal laparoscopic radical
- Patients must be able to provide written informed consent and HIPAA authorization for
release of personal health information.
- Patients must be > 18 years of age.
- Patients must not have previously undergone transurethral resection, laser therapy,
microwave therapy, radiofrequency ablation, or other surgery of the prostate.
- Patients must not have a prostate size >100 cc as measured on digital rectal
examination or transrectal ultrasound.
- Patients must not have previously undergone incision of urethral stricture or
incision of bladder neck contracture.
- Patients must not have previously been diagnosed with urethral stricture, bladder
neck contracture or urinary incontinence.
- Patients must not have previously been diagnosed with atonic bladder or neurogenic
- Patients must not have significant pre-operative voiding symptoms as defined by an
American Urologic Association symptom score of greater than 19.
- Patients must not have a prior history of radiation to the pelvis.
- Patients must not have persistent bacteriuria that cannot be cleared by a negative
urine culture within 1 month of surgery.
- Patients must not have allergies to pig tissue or pig products or have religious or
cultural objection to the use of pig tissue.