An Open-Label Study to Determine the Maximum Tolerated Oral Dose of the Kinase Inhibitor CEP-11981 in Patients With Advanced Cancer
- has a histologically or cytologically confirmed solid tumor that has relapsed or is
refractory. Additionally, the tumor must be considered unresponsive or poorly
responsive to accepted treatment modalities.
- has a life expectancy of at least 12 weeks.
- has an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance score of 0, 1, or 2.
- has normal neurologic examination findings. Patients having neurologic signs and
symptoms indicative of brain metastases must undergo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
to rule out brain metastases.
- has fully recovered from any prior surgical procedure(s).
- has fully recovered from reversible side effects of prior therapy for cancer
including radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and immunotherapy.
- is in appropriate health as determined by medical and psychiatric history, medical
examination, electrocardiography (ECG), serum chemistry and hematology tests, and
- if a woman of childbearing potential (not surgically sterile or who are not 2 years
postmenopausal), must use a medically accepted method of contraception and must agree
to continue use of this method for the duration of the study and for 30 days after
participation in the study. Acceptable methods of contraception include abstinence,
barrier method with spermicide, intrauterine device (IUD), or steroidal contraceptive
(oral, transdermal, implanted, and injected) in conjunction with a barrier method.
- if a man, not surgically sterile or who is capable of producing offspring, must
practice abstinence or use a barrier method of birth control, and must agree to
continue use of this method for the duration of the study and for 30 days after
participation in the study.
- is willing and able to comply with study restrictions and to return to the clinic for
evaluations (including follow-up).
Key Exclusion Criteria:
- has any of the following hematologic values: absolute neutrophil count (ANC) less
than 1500/mm3, platelet count less than 100000/mm3, hemoglobin less than 9 g/dL.
- has any of the following hepatic function values: bilirubin greater than 1.5 times
the upper limit of normal (ULN), alanine aminotransferase (ALT) or aspartate
aminotransferase (AST) greater than 2.0 times the ULN in the absence of known hepatic
metastases, or ALT or AST greater than 3.0 times the ULN in the presence of known
- has a serum creatinine value greater than 1.5 mg/dL.
- has known cerebral metastases.
- is currently on warfarin or heparin therapy.
- has any pre-existing coagulopathy, recent hemoptysis, gross hematuria, or
gastrointestinal bleeding, and a history of a clinically significant cardiovascular
or cerebrovascular event within 6 months prior to study entry.
- has uncontrolled hypertension defined as a blood pressure measurement greater than
150 mm Hg systolic or 90 mm Hg diastolic with medication.
- is receiving any other antineoplastic treatment for solid tumors. (Continuing
hormonal treatment is permitted.)
- has received any investigational drug within the past 4 weeks.
- has previously been enrolled in the study or received CEP-11981.
- has known hypersensitivity to gelatin or lactose monohydrate.
- is a woman who is pregnant or lactating.
- has taken a medication known to be a potent inducer of CYP1A2, CYP2C8, or CYP3A4
within 4 weeks prior to the first dose of study drug.
- has taken a medication known to be a potent inhibitor of CYP1A2, CYP2C8, or CYP3A4
within 2 weeks prior to the first dose of study drug.