A Phase I Dose-Finding Study of E7050 Administered Orally to Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors
1. Age 18 years.
2. Histologically and/or cytologically confirmed metastatic solid tumors, that have
progressed after treatment with approved therapies, or for which there are no
standard effective therapies available.
3. Adequate bone marrow function.
4. Adequate renal function.
5. Adequate liver function.
6. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) Performance Status of 0 or 1.
7. Life expectancy > 3 months.
8. Be willing and able to comply with the study protocol, and can give written informed
Additional inclusion criterion for the additional 15 patients recruited to the
expanded MTD cohort only:
9. At least one tumor lesion with diameter >= 2 cm measurable according to Modified
1. Any condition that may preclude oral intake or oral absorption, history of
gastrointestinal malabsorption, or surgery involving gastro- and/or intestinal-
anastomosis within 4 weeks prior to starting study drug.
2. Untreated or unstable known primary or metastatic central nervous system (CNS) tumors
(stability shown by contrast-enhanced computed tomography or magnetic resonance
imaging scans at least 8 weeks apart, with the most recent scan obtained within 28
days prior to starting study treatment).
3. Known human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B or C, or severe/uncontrolled
infection or intercurrent illness (unrelated to tumor).
4. Prior surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, biologic therapy or investigational drugs
within 4 weeks prior to starting study drug. Prior immunotherapy, hormonal, or
molecular targeted therapy within 2 weeks prior to starting study treatment (except
gonadorelin analogue therapy for prostate cancer is allowed). (All acute toxicities
related to prior treatments should have resolved).
5. Clinically significant cardiac impairment or unstable ischemic heart disease
including a myocardial infarction within 6 months prior to starting study drug.
6. Requiring therapeutic anti-coagulant therapy (prophylactic dose of heparin or low
molecular weight heparin is allowed).
7. Poorly controlled hypertension (defined as a change in hypertensive therapy within 3
months of starting study drug) or hypertension diagnosed at screening (defined as a
repeat blood pressure measurement of 160/90 mmHg or higher).
8. Pregnancy or lactation. Female patients of childbearing potential must have a
negative pregnancy test before inclusion into the study, and must agree to use
medically acceptable methods of contraception (e.g. abstinence, or a double-barrier
method [e.g. condom + spermicide, condom + diaphragm with spermicide], or IUD, or
have a vasectomised partner) starting at Screening and throughout the entire study
period and for 2 months after the last dose of study drug. Those female patients
using hormonal contraceptives must also be using an additional approved method of
contraception (as described previously) starting at Cycle 1 Day 1, and continuing
throughout the entire study period and for 2 months after the last dose of study
Perimenopausal women must have been amenorrheic for at least 12 months; otherwise a
pregnancy test is required.
Male patients must agree to use contraceptive methods (e.g., abstinence, or a
double-barrier method [e.g., condom + spermicide, condom + partner diaphragm with
Additional exclusion criterion for the additional 15 patients recruited to the
expanded MTD cohort only:
9. History of any malignancy other than the present malignancy (except treated
non-melanoma skin cancer or carcinoma in situ of the cervix), unless in complete
remission and off all therapy for that disease for a minimum of 5 years.