Serum, Plasma, DNA and Tissue Bank of Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Lung Cancer and Smoking Controls.
All patients with a smoking history of at least 15 pack years, an minimal age of 50 years
and an recent available CT scan are enrolled.
All subjects with a diagnosis of lung cancer are also collected (irrespective of age and
In addition the investigators collect:
- specific questionnaires (MRC, CCQ and smoking history)
- medical and professional history
- complete pulmonary function (spirometry, bodyplethysmography and diffusing capacity)
- serum, plasma and DNA samples.
In specific subgroups the investigators also collect:
- Peripheral blood mononuclear cells
- Lung tissue - if available - from a surgical procedure (lung transplantation or
Observational Model: Case Control, Time Perspective: Prospective
Serological, cytological, histological and genetic analysis of biomarkers or genes which are involved in the pathogenesis of COPD/Emphysema/Lungcancer.
All cases are prospectively collected in University hospital Leuven, Belgium. Of enrolled subjects data are collected at 0,1,3 and 6 years interval
Wim Janssens, MD. PhD.
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Belgium: Institutional Review Board