Knowledge and Perceptions About Human Papillomavirus and Cervical Cancer Risk Among Young Adults
- Describe the socio-demographic context of college students in an urban Midwestern
- Assess knowledge of the human papillomavirus (HPV) and cervical cancer in these
- Assess the population's perception of HPV risk.
- Assess the prevalence of risk behaviors that may place this population at risk for HPV.
- Identify the best predictors of HPV knowledge and cervical cancer knowledge.
- Assess vaccine knowledge and acceptance in these participants.
OUTLINE: Participants complete the Young Adult Survey online documenting demographic data;
sexual history (i.e., whether they ever had sex, age of first sexual encounter, number of
life time partners, condom use, sexually transmitted diseases [STDs], and pregnancy
history); cigarette use; current and past drug use; knowledge of human papillomavirus (HPV)
and cervical cancer; past history of Pap tests and STD screenings; attitudes towards HPV
testing; vaccine knowledge and acceptability; sources of information about HPV; source of
information about cervical cancer; identification of common STDs; perceived risk of
acquiring STDs; perceived risk of acquiring HPV; social support; and religion.
Observational Model: Ecologic or Community, Time Perspective: Cross-Sectional
Socio-demographic context of college students in an urban Midwestern setting
Shelley A. Francis, DrPH, MPH, CHES
Ireland Cancer Center at University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center
United States: Federal Government
|Mercy Cancer Center at Mercy Medical Center||Canton, Ohio 44708|
|Ireland Cancer Center at University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center||Cleveland, Ohio 44106-5065|
|Lake/University Ireland Cancer Center||Mentor, Ohio 44060|
|Geauga Regional Hospital||Chardon, Ohio 44024|
|Southwest General Health Center||Middleburgh Heights, Ohio 44130|
|UHHS Chagrin Highlands Medical Center||Orange Villager, Ohio 44122|
|University Suburban Health Center||South Euclid, Ohio 44121|
|UHHS Westlake Medical Center||Westlaker, Ohio 44145|