- Age 18-26 years.
- Patients hospitalized during the postpartum period after a normal spontaneous vaginal
delivery, assisted vaginal delivery or Cesarean section.
- Patients who delivered a singleton fetus or multiple gestations are eligible for
- Patients may have delivered at gestational ages 32-44 weeks.
- Patients must have signed informed consent.
- Patients must meet pre-entry criteria.
- Patients who are breast feeding are eligible for participation.
- Patients must have an obstetrician whom they have seen for obstetric care and plan to
follow-up with in the postpartum period.
- Age < 18 or > 26 years.
- Patients with hemophilia, other bleeding disorders or thrombocytopenia (platelets <
- Patients receiving active anticoagulant therapy with warfarin, heparin or low
molecular weight heparin.
- Pregnancy or planning pregnancy within the next 6 months.
- Ongoing bacteremia, endomyometritis or other serious febrile illness.
- Hypersensitivity to yeast, aluminum or other vaccine components.
- Prior vaccination with a prophylactic HPV vaccine (single or multiple doses).
- Patients who delivered a non-viable infant or an infant with severe congenital
- Patients who do not plan on following up postpartum with their local obstetrician or
maternal fetal medicine specialist.
- Patients who are unwilling to receive subsequent doses of the HPV vaccine.