- Male and Female patients
- Aged 18 or older at the time of breast cancer diagnosis
- Patients with invasive breast cancer at least 1 cm in size. Patients who have had a
prior surgical excision are eligible provided there is a residual of at least a 1 cm
area suspected on imaging studies.
- Histopathologic review at MSKCC confirming diagnosis of invasive breast cancer
(ductal, lobular, or inflammatory breast cancer).
- Patients who are operative candidates. Patient will have surgery to include either
mastectomy or lumpectomy. Radiologic assisted excisions such as needle localization
are also eligible.
- Patients with bilateral breast cancer are eligible.
- Patients with metastatic cancer, provided they need surgical biopsy.
- Patients who are undergoing sentinel node mapping (day before or sameday mapping).
- Patient must sign informed consent.
- Previous or concurrent malignancy (except basal and squamous skin cancer and stage 0
- Patients who are pregnant or nursing
- Patients unable to tolerate PET or PET/CT
- Patients with known active infection, autoimmune or inflammatory disease such as
sarcoidosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Patients with non invasive breast cancer such as DCIS.
- Patients who have received prior radiation therapy to the affected breast.
- Patients who have received prior chemotherapy, including neoadjuvant chemotherapy or
hormonal therapy for breast cancer.
- Patients living in a residential care or correctional facility.