Adherence to Comprehensive, Multi-Organ Screening Recommendations in Hereditary Non-Polyposis Colorectal Cancer (HNPCC) Patients
- A patient will be eligible for enrollment if he/she is self-referred or
physician-referred for genetic counseling at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center's
(MSKCC) Clinical Genetics Service due to a concern about increased risk for colon
- An individual who presents for genetic counseling at MSKCC's Clinical Genetics
Service after undergoing genetic testing at an outside institution with a documented
mutation in any gene associated with HNPCC or;
- An individual who in the context of genetic counseling has received stricter
colorectal and/or gynecologic screening recommendations than that of the general
population regardless of genetic test results.
- DNA of patients who have been consented to protocol 93-102 ("Ascertainment of
Peripheral Blood or Saliva Samples for Genetic Epidemiology Studies of Familial
Cancers"), who meet the eligibility criteria listed above, will also be eligible for
inclusion in this study.
- Patients will be excluded from this study if: he/she has physical, cognitive or
psychiatric conditions that interfere with ability to give meaningful informed
consent; he/she cannot read, write or communicate in English; he/she is less than 18
years of age; he/she has received a diagnosis of FAP.