- Men or women, age 18 years or older.
- Histologically or cytologically confirmed metastatic melanoma, AJCC (2002) Stage III
(regional lymph node metastasis, in-transit metastasis or satellite metastasis) or
Stage IV (distant metastasis).
- Measurable disease in at least one lesion ≥ 0.2 cm in diameter that can be accurately
measured by ruler/caliper or ultrasound. Target, Non-Target and Bystander Lesions
selected by discretion of Investigator.
- Performance Status: ECOG 0-2.
- Life Expectancy: At least 6 months.
- White blood cell count (WBC) no less than 2500/mm3 (2.5 x 10E9/L).
- Absolute neutrophil count (ANC) no less than 1,000/mm3 (1.0 x 10E9/L).
- Platelet count no less than 90,000/mm3 (90 x 10E9/L).
- Blood Chemistry:
- Creatinine no greater than 1.5 times the upper limit of normal (ULN).
- Total bilirubin no greater than 1.5 times the upper limit of normal (ULN).
- AST/ALT no greater than 3 times the upper limit of normal (ULN).
- Thyroid Function:
- Total T3 or free T3 (serum triiodothyronine), total T4 or free T4 (serum
thyroxine) and THS (serum thyrotropin) within normal limits.
- Cardiovascular Function:
- No clinically significant cardiovascular disease.
- Respiratory Function:
- No clinically significant respiratory disease.
- Immunological Function:
- No known immunodeficiency disease. Subjects must have adequate immune system
function in the opinion of the Investigator.
- Radiation therapy within 4 weeks of study treatment or to any Study Lesion within 12
weeks of study treatment.
- Chemotherapy or other systemic cancer therapy within 4 weeks of study treatment
(6 weeks for nitrosoureas or mitomycin).
- Regional chemotherapy (limb infusion or perfusion) within 12 weeks of study
- Local treatment (e.g., surgery, cryotherapy, radiofrequency ablation) to the
treatment area within 4 weeks of study treatment.
- Investigational agents within 4 weeks (or 5 half-lives) of study treatment.
- Photosensitizing agents within 5 half-lives of study treatment.
- Anti-tumor vaccine therapy within 6 weeks of study treatment.
- Concurrent or Intercurrent Illness:
- Severe diabetes.
- Extremity complications due to diabetes.
- Significant concurrent or intercurrent illness, psychiatric disorders, or
alcohol or chemical dependence that would, in the opinion of the Investigator,
compromise their safety or compliance or interfere with interpretation of study
- Thyroid disease (subclinical or ongoing), goiter, partial thyroidectomy,
previous radioiodine- or surgically-treated Graves' hyperthyroidism or cystic
fibrosis, or taking thyroid hormone medication.
- Female subjects who are pregnant or lactating.
- Female subjects who have positive serum ßHCG pregnancy test taken within 7 days
of PV-10 treatment.
- Fertile subjects who are not using effective contraception.