- Locally advanced or metastatic adenocarcinoma of the pancreas, confirmed by histology
- No prior chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer.
- Performance status 0-2 (ECOG scale).
- Age ≥ 18 y.
- Adequate hematologic function (ANC ≥ 1500/mm³, platelet count ≥ 100,000/mm³).
- Adequate hepatic function (total bilirubin ≤ 2.0xUNL and AST, ALT and AP ≤ 5.0xUNL)
- Adequate renal function (creatinine ≤ 2.0).
- Signed informed consent.
- A history of treated or active central nervous system involvement by the tumor or
active neurological disease.
- Prior radiation. Patients with disease outside the irradiation field or documented
disease progression of previously irradiated disease are eligible.
- Unstable medical condition, including uncontrolled diabetes mellitus or hypertension,
active infection, unstable CHF, uncontrolled arrhythmias or unstable coagulation