Wake Forest University Cervical Screening and Follow Up System for Hispanic Women - A Pilot Study
- Determine the reasons for nonadherence to follow-up in Hispanic women with abnormal Pap
- Assess the effect of written educational information and phone calls on follow-up rate
in these patients.
OUTLINE: This is a pilot, cross-sectional, controlled, multicenter study. Patients are
sequentially assigned to 1 of 3 intervention groups.
- Group 1 (control): Patients complete a standardized Spanish survey questionnaire,
assessing their demographic information, knowledge, attitudes, behaviors, experiences
with cervical screening, past medical history, and prior treatment, either in person
(for those who kept their colposcopy appointment) or over the telephone (for those who
did not keep their colposcopy appointment). Additional questions are added for patients
who did not keep their colposcopy appointment to test for differences and to learn the
reasons for not keeping their appointment.
- Group 2 (written educational information): Patients receive notification of their
colposcopy appointment and an educational letter about Pap smears, cervical cancer
risk, and the purpose and procedure of colposcopy. They complete the standardized
Spanish survey questionnaire as in group 1.
- Group 3 (phone call): Patients receive notification of their colposcopy appointment and
a personal telephone call educating them about Pap smears, cervical cancer risk, and
the purpose and procedure of colposcopy. They complete the standardized Spanish survey
questionnaire as in group 1.
All patients are asked to agree to submit residual Pap smear fluid to the Comprehensive
Cancer Center of Wake Forest University tumor bank, and be included in a tracking system to
insure future follow-up communications.
Primary Purpose: Health Services Research
Reasons for nonadherence to follow-up
Brigitte E. Miller, MD
Comprehensive Cancer Center of Wake Forest University
United States: Federal Government
|Wake Forest University Comprehensive Cancer Center||Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27157-1096|