BrUOG-PA-209: Lapatinib and Gemcitabine for Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer: A Phase II Study #108181
- Patients are required to have histologically or pathologically confirmed, metastatic
adenocarcinoma of the pancreas
- No prior chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer.
- ECOG performance status 0-1
- Must retain ability to swallow oral medications
- Age > 18. Because no dosing or adverse event data are currently available on the use
of lapatinib in patients < 18 years of age, children are excluded from this study.
- Women of child bearing potential must be non pregnant and non lactating.The effects
of lapatinib on the developing human fetus at the recommended therapeutic dose are
unknown. For this reason, women of child bearing potential and men must agree to use
adequate contraception (hormonal or barrier method of birth control or abstinence)
prior to study entry and for the duration of study participation. Should a woman
become pregnant or suspect she is pregnant while participating in this study, she
should inform her treating physician immediately. A female is eligible to enter and
participate in the study if she is of:
- Non-childbearing potential (i.e., physiologically incapable of becoming
pregnant), including any female who:
- Has had a hysterectomy,
- Has had a bilateral oophorectomy (ovariectomy),
- Has had a bilateral tubal ligation, or
- Is post-menopausal(demonstration of total cessation of menses for ³1 year).
- Childbearing potential, has a negative serum pregnancy test within 2 weeks
prior to treatment to rule out pregnancy.
- Men and women of childbearing potential must be willing to consent to using
effective contraception while on treatment.
- Intrauterine Device (IUD),
- Vasectomized partner who is sterile prior to the female subject's entry and
is the sole sexual partner for that female.
- Complete abstinence from sexual intercourse for two weeks before exposure
to investigational products, throughout the clinical trial, and for at
least one week after the last dose of investigational product.
- Double barrier contraception (condom with spermicidal jelly, foam,
suppository, or film; diaphragm with spermicide; or male condom and
- Adequate hematologic function: ANC ≥ 1500/ul, platelets ≥ 100,000/ul. Adequate
hepatic function with total bilirubin ≤ 2.0 mg/dL and ALT or AST ≤ 2x ULN. (Patients
with liver metastases may have AST/ALT less than or equal to 5x upper limit of
- Adequate renal function: creatinine ≤ 2.0 mg/dL
- Cardiac ejection fraction within the institutional range of normal as measured by
echocardiogram or MUGA scan. Note that baseline and on treatment scans should be
performed using the same modality and preferably at the same institution.
- Life expectancy of at least 12 weeks
- Signed informed consent
A subject will not be eligible for inclusion in this study if any of the following
- Prior treatment with lapatinib or any EGFR targeting therapies.
- Prior treatment with systemic chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer.
- Clinical evidence of brain metastases or leptomeningeal disease
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active
infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac
arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with
- Active cardiac disease, defined as:
- History of uncontrolled angina
- Myocardial infarction < 6 months from study entry
- Uncontrolled or symptomatic congestive heart failure
- Ejection fraction below the institutional normal limit
- Any other cardiac condition, which in the opinion of the treating physician,
would make this protocol unreasonably hazardous for the patient
- The subject has a known immediate or delayed hypersensitivity reaction or
idiosyncrasy to drugs chemically related to the study drug.
- HIV-positive patients receiving combination anti-retroviral therapy are excluded from
the study because of possible pharmacokinetic interactions with lapatinib
- Participation in any investigational study within 28 days prior to study enrolment
- Any major surgery (insertion of a vascular access device or laparoscopy is not
considered a major surgery), within the last 4 weeks.
- Pregnant or lactating females are excluded from this study because lapatinib is
member of the 4-anilinoquinazoline class of kinase inhibitors with the potential for
teratogenic or abortifacient effects. Because there is an unknown but potential risk
for adverse events in nursing infants secondary to treatment of the mother with
lapatinib, breastfeeding should be discontinued if the mother is treated with
- Uncontrolled malabsorption syndrome significantly affecting gastrointestinal function
or major resection of the stomach or small bowel that could affect absorption of
- Any unresolved bowel obstruction.
- The patient has inadequate venous access in the clinical judgment of the investigator
or designated clinical staff.
- Patient is taking any medication on the prohibited medications list in
- Patients requiring oral anticoagulants (coumadin, warfarin) are eligible provided
there is increased vigilance with respect to monitoring INR. If medically
appropriate and treatment available, the investigator may also consider switching
these patients to LMW heparin, where an interaction with lapatinib is not expected.
- Patients may not be receiving any other investigational agents or receiving
concurrent anticancer therapy.