A Phase III Study Comparing Adjuvant Chemotherapy Consisting of Capecitabine/Oxaliplatin vs Surgery Alone in Patients With Stage II (T1N2, T2N1, T3N0), IIIa (T2N2, T3N1, T4NO), and IIIb (T3N2) Gastric Adenocarcinoma
- Ambulatory patients
- Karnofsky performance status of ≥70 %.
- Histologically confirmed gastric adenocarcinoma, staged pathologically, stage II
(T2N1, T1N2, T3N0), IIIa (T3N1, T2N2, T4N0), and IIIb (T3N2). At least 15 examined
lymph nodes are required to ensure the adequate TNM (Tumor Nodes Metastases
- Patients who underwent curative D2 lymphadenectomy resection for gastric cancer with
no macroscopic or microscopic evidence for remaining tumor, who can be randomized to
either study arm within 6 weeks after surgery.
- Pregnant or lactating women.
- Women of childbearing potential with either a positive or no pregnancy test at
baseline. Postmenopausal women must have been amenorrheic for at least 12 months to
be considered of non-child bearing potential.
- Sexually active males and females (of childbearing potential) unwilling to practice
contraception during the study.
- Any evidence of metastatic disease (including presence of tumor cells in the
- Previous cytotoxic chemotherapy, radiotherapy or immunotherapy except
corticosteroids, for the currently treated gastric cancer.
- Major surgery within 4 weeks prior to study treatment start, or lack of complete
recovery from the effects of major surgery.
- History of another malignancy within the last five years except cured basal cell
carcinoma of skin and cured carcinoma in-situ of uterine cervix.
- Clinically significant (i.e. active) cardiac disease e.g. symptomatic coronary artery
disease, New York Heart Association (NYHA) grade II or greater congestive heart
failure or serious cardiac arrhythmia requiring medication or myocardial infarction
within the last 12 months.
- Lack of physical integrity of the upper gastrointestinal tract or those who have
malabsorption syndrome likely to influence absorption of capecitabine, or inability
to take oral medication.
- Known peripheral neuropathy ≥ CTCAEv3 grade 1 (Common Terminology for Adverse
Events). Absence of deep tendon reflexes as the sole neurologic abnormality does not
render the patient ineligible.
- Organ allografts requiring immunosuppressive therapy.
- Serious uncontrolled intercurrent infections or other serious uncontrolled
- Moderate or severe renal impairment [creatinine clearance equal to or below 50 ml/min
(calculated according to Cockroft and Gault)], or serum creatinine > 1.5 x upper
limit of normal (ULN).
- Any of the following laboratory values:
- Absolute neutrophil count (ANC) < 1.5 x 109/L
- Platelet count < 100 x 109/L
- Total bilirubin > 1.5 x ULN
- ALAT, ASAT > 2.5 x ULN
- Alkaline phosphatase > 2.5 x ULN.
- Prior unanticipated severe reaction to fluoropyrimidine therapy (with or without
documented dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) deficiency) or patients with known
- Hypersensitivity to platinum compounds or any of the components of the study
- Received any investigational drug or agent/procedure, i.e. participation in another
trial, within 4 weeks before randomization.
- Blood transfusions or growth factors to aid hematologic recovery within 2 weeks prior
to study treatment start.
- Requirement for concurrent use of the antiviral agent sorivudine (antiviral) or
chemically related analogues, such as brivudine.
The above information is not intended to contain all considerations relevant to a
patient's potential participation in a clinical trial.