(must meet ALL of the following criteria);
- Having a history of UC and more than 1 year from TPC/IPAA
- Meet diagnostic criteria of IPS, i.e.
- Symptoms of diarrhea and abdominal pain, with PDAI symptoms score > (range 2-6).
- Duration of symptoms > 12 weeks in the preceding 12-months period
- Pouch endoscopy shows no evidence of inflammation of the ileal pouch and rectal cuff
- No antibiotic therapy, aspirin, or non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs for 2 weeks
prior to entry into the study; no antidepressant and or anti-anxiety medicines for at
least 4 weeks.
Exclusion Criteria:(may meet ANY of the following criteria);
- A history of development of side effects from amitriptyline
- IPAA for FAP; celiac disease; chronic pouchitis; Crohn's disease; pouch stricture or
- Urinary retention, glaucoma, use of MAO inhibitors within past 14 days; acute
recovery phase following myocardial infarction; pregnancy
- Psychiatric disorder, including major depression, which requires medical therapy