A Prospective, Randomized, Open Label, Phase III Trial of Fludarabine, Cyclophosphamide, and Rituximab vs. Pentostatin, Cyclophosphamide, and Rituximab in Previously Untreated or Treated B-Cell Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Patients will be eligible for inclusion in this study if they meet all of the following
- Progressive, histologically proven B-cell CLL.
- Stage II, III, or IV B-cell CLL, as defined by Appendix III.
Note: The pathology or flow cytometry (of peripheral blood or a bone marrow) report, done
by the local laboratory which documents these findings, must be included in the source
documents. The SI must review the above pathology report or flow cytometry report results
(including bone marrow aspirate analysis and CD5 and CD20 results) by fax, prior to
registration, to confirm each patient's eligibility. Results should be consistent with
typical B-cell CLL. If Dr. Reynolds is not available to review these documents, they must
be reviewed by Dr. Nicholas J. Di Bella.
- Patient must be CD20 +
- Patient must be CD5+ (CD5 >70%)
- No more than 1 prior course (regimen) of chemotherapy, which can include Fludara or
- No prior radiation therapy, except for the treatment of skin cancer or a nonmalignant
- If patient has lymph node involvement, a CT scan confirming measurable tumor size
(lymph node must be >1 cm in its longest transverse diameter).
- SI has been notified IF patient is on replacement steroids at time of registration.
- Age greater than 18 years.
- ECOG performance status of 0-2 (Appendix I).
- Normal renal function (creatinine <1.5 mg/dL and BUN <25 mg/dL).
- Absolute neutrophil count (ANC) greater than 1,000 cells/µL, platelet count greater
than 50,000 cells/µL, and hemoglobin greater than 9 g/dL.
- Bilirubin less than 2.0 mg/dL, and AST and ALT less than 5 times the upper limit of
- Negative serum pregnancy test within 7 days prior to registration (female patients of
- Agrees to use an acceptable method of birth control, if fertile patient (male or
female), to avoid pregnancy for the duration of the study and for at least 3 months
- A signed Patient Informed Consent Form has been obtained.
- A signed Patient Authorization Form has been obtained.
Patients will be excluded from this study if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Any disease other than histologically confirmed progressive, Stage II, III, or IV
- Well differentiated lymphocytic lymphoma in nodes without lymphocytosis.
- More than 1 prior course (regimen) of chemotherapy.
- Any radiation for the treatment of CLL.
- Any prior Nipent.
- Known to be CD20 negative (CD20 <20%).
- Pregnant or lactating, or has a positive pregnancy test.
- Has a history of other malignancy (other than in situ cervical cancer, carcinoma
intraepithelial neoplasia, or non-melanoma skin cancer) within the last 5 years,
which could affect the administration of these study drugs or assessment of current
- Known to be HIV positive.
- Uncontrolled thyroid disease or uncontrolled abnormal thyroid function.
Note: Patients with thyroid disease that is controlled with medication may participate.
- A history of recent, unstable organic heart disease or stable organic heart disease
with LVEF <50%.
- A known hypersensitivity to Fludara, Nipent, Rituxan, or Cytoxan, or any component of
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia.
- Unable to comply with requirements of study.