A Phase II Trial of Preoperative Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy Followed by Adjuvant Combination Chemotherapy for Patients With Loco-Regional Esophageal Carcinoma
1. Histologically confirmed squamous cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, or mixed
adeno/squamous of the the esophagus or gastroesophageal junction.
2. Disease limited to the esophagus and regional lymph nodes. However, celiac node
enlargement will be acceptable for tumors of the distal esophagus, because they will
be included in the radiation field.
3. Disease must be able to be encompassed in a single radiation field.
4. No medical contraindication to surgery.
5. All treatment is to be administered at the University of Michigan Medical Center
6. Karnofsky Performance Status > 60%
7. Ages 18-75
8. Adequate renal function (BUN <1.5 x N; creatinine <1,5 mg/dl, or measured creatinine
9. Adequate bone marrow reserve (WBC>3500/ul; Platelets>100,000/ul.).
10. Adequate hepatic function (Bilirubin<1.5x N; AST <2 x upper limit of normal).
11. Prior malignancy is acceptable if the patient is considered to be cured. In most
cases this will mean a 5 year disease-free period.
12. Ability to give informed consent.
1. Patients with active infection, pregnancy, lactating females, serious inter-current
medical conditions including congestive heart failure, cardiac arrhythmias, or
symptomatic coronary artery diseases are ineligible.
2. No prior treatment allowed. No prior thoracic radiation.