A Phase II Trial of Epirubicin With Estramustine Phosphate and Celecoxib for the Treatment of Hormone Resistant Prostate Cancer (HRPC)
- Patient must have histologically proven adenocarcinoma of the prostate gland.
- Patient must have evidence of progressive metastatic disease (e.g., bone, pelvic
mass, lymph node, liver or lung metastases) within 6 weeks prior to participation in
- Patients must not have an elevated PSA level as the only evidence of disease. While
castrated, the patients should have rising PSA on two consecutive measurements at
least 1 week apart. The confirmatory PSA must be obtained within 1 week prior to
study registration and should be >10ng/ml.
- Patients with bone metastases only (i.e., lacking soft-tissue disease) must have a
PSA level of > 10 ng/ml. Patients with soft tissue metastases and /or visceral
disease must have either measurable disease or a PSA level of > 10 ng/ml.
- Radiological evidence of hydronephrosis will not by itself constitute evidence of
- Patients must have had prior treatment with bilateral orchiectomy or other primary
hormonal therapy (e.g., estrogen therapy, LHRH analog + flutamide, etc.) with
evidence of treatment failure.
NOTE: Patients who have not undergone bilateral orchiectomy must continue LHRH agonist
therapy (e.g., depot leuprolide or goserelin) while receiving this protocol therapy.
- For patients previously treated with flutamide (Eulexin), nilutamide (Nilandron), or
bicalutamide (Casodex): Patients must have discontinued flutamide or nilutamide < 4
weeks and for bicalutamide 6 weeks prior to registration.
- Patients should not have prior exposure to anthracyclines or estramustine phosphate.
- Patients must not have had prior radiotherapy < 4 weeks prior to this protocol
- Patients must not have previously received Strontium 89, Samarium 153, or other
- Patients must have recovered from all toxicities due to prior treatment for prostate
cancer prior to receiving this protocol treatment.
- Patients must have adequate bone marrow function: (WBC > 4000/ mm3, granulocytes >
2000/ mm3, platelet count > 100,000/mm3, and Hemoglobin > 8.0 g/dl < 4 weeks prior to
participate in this study.
- Patients must have the following chemistry values < 4 weeks prior to participate in
- Bilirubin < 1.5 mg/dl
- Transaminases (SGOT and/or SGPT) < 5 x institutional upper limit of normal (ULN)
- Creatinine < 2.0 mg/d. or creatinine clearance > 50 ml/min
- Alkaline phosphatase £ 5 x ULN
- Patients must have no active angina pectoris, or known heart disease of New York
Heart Association Class III-IV. Patients must not have a history of myocardial
infarction < 6 months prior to the study participation.
- Patients with a history of prior malignancy are eligible provided they were treated
with curative intent and have been free of disease for the time period considered
appropriate for the specific cancer.
- No serious concurrent medical illness or active infection should be present which
would jeopardize the ability of the patient to receive the chemotherapy outlined in
this protocol with reasonable safety.
- Sexually active patients must use an accepted and effective method of contraception
while receiving protocol treatment.
- Patients must have a Karnofsky Performance Scale (KPS) score over 50. (Equaling ECOG
Performance Scale of 0, 1, or 2).
- Age > 18 years.
- Patient must have failed the Taxotere treatment.