A Phase II Study of Weekly Docetaxel (Taxotere®) in Combination With Capecitabine (Xeloda) in Advanced Gastric and Gastro-Esophageal Adenocarcinomas.
1. Have histologically or cytologically confirmed locally advanced (unresectable) or
metastatic adenocarcinoma of gastric, gastro-esophageal, or esophageal origin.
2. Must have measurable or evaluable disease.
3. Received adjuvant therapy are eligible if adjuvant therapy was given ≥ 6 months prior
to the diagnosis of metastatic disease.
4. Life expectancy greater than 12 weeks.
5. ECOG performance status < 2.
6. Adequate organ and marrow function.
7. Preexisting peripheral neuropathy if present must be grade 0 or 1.
8. Women and men of child-bearing potential must agree to use adequate contraception
(hormonal or barrier method of birth control; abstinence) prior to study entry, for
the duration of study participation, and for at least 3 months thereafter.
Postmenopausal women must have been amenorrheic for at least 12 months to be
considered of non-childbearing potential
1. No chemotherapy or radiotherapy within 4 weeks
2. Not receiving any other investigational agents or participate in any investigational
drug study within 4 weeks preceding the start of study treatment.
3. Patients with known brain metastases shall be excluded from this clinical trial
4. Patients with evidence or history of uncontrolled seizures, central nervous system
disorders or psychiatric disability judged by the investigator to be clinically
significant that precludes informed consent or interferes with the compliance of oral
drug intake will also be excluded.
5. History of severe hypersensitivity reaction to docetaxel or other drugs formulated
with polysorbate 80.
6. History of allergic reactions attributed to compounds of similar chemical or biologic
composition to docetaxel, capecitabine or 5-FU.
7. Uncontrolled intercurrent illness
8. Pregnant or breast feeding women are excluded from this study
9. Inability to swallow tablets or those who have malabsorptive symptoms will be
10. HIV-positive patients receiving combination anti-retroviral therapy are excluded from
the study because of possible pharmacokinetic interactions with docetaxel or
11. Prior use of docetaxel or capecitabine is not allowed ( Prior 5FU therapy is
12. Treatment for other carcinomas within the last five years, except cured non-melanoma
skin and treated in-situ cervical cancer.
13. Major surgery ( i.e laparotomy, line placement is not considered major surgery)within
4 weeks of the start of study treatment, without complete recovery.
14. Known, existing uncontrolled coagulopathy.
15. Patients on anticonvulsants that are metabolized via P450 3A4 pathway.