Pilot Trial of Capecitabine and Radiation Therapy With Pre and Post Combination Chemotherapy in Advanced Pancreatic Cancer
1. Patients must have cytologic or histologic confirmation of pancreatic carcinoma.
2. Patients must have unresectable disease with or without distant metastases. A status
of unresectable will be based on review of helical CT scan and surgical consultation.
3. Patients with a history of previous abdominal irradiation or chemotherapy for
pancreatic cancer are ineligible.
4. Patients must have an estimated life expectancy of at least 12 weeks and a Zubrod
performance status of ≤ 2 (appendix I).
5. Patients must be 18 years of age or older. Patients with reproductive potential must
agree to use an effective contraceptive method during treatment.
6. Patients must have adequate organ function defined as follows: bone marrow -
granulocytes ≥ 1500/cmm, platelets > 100,000/cmm, renal – serum Cre < 1.5 mg/dl,
hepatic – bilirubin < 3 mg/dl.
7. Patients must be free of other active systemic malignancy or any other serious
co-morbid medical or psychiatric condition that would interfere with safe delivery of
8. Patients must be aware of the investigational nature of the therapy and provide
written informed consent as per institutional guidelines prior to the initiation of